After long wait! for JNC 8, it came online on Dec18, 2013. It was a long journey between JNC 7 and 8, it took 10 years! and now it is not endorsed by NHLBI(National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute).
There are some changes in definition of HTN:
1. We do not have a category of Pre-HTn, HNT stage ! and 2
2. There are differnet category of > 60 Y/O vs < 60 Y/O
3. Black vs Non black population
4. Age ≥ 18 Y/O with CKD
5. Very interesting drug recommendation mainly for Non-Black population:
Thiazide-type diuretic, calcium channel blocker , angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor , or angiotensin receptor blocker.
6. For Black population: Thiazide-type diuretic or calcium channel blocker